RECORDING: Launch Event - Supporting Ethnocultural Seniors in Alberta
Throughout the province of Alberta, many immigrant-serving organizations are supporting older adults from a variety of ethnocultural communities.
The unique needs of older adults in these communities can present issues for organizations around effective program and service delivery.
On October 19, 2023, a panel of diverse voices working in the sector got together to discuss the barriers and opportunities in effectively supporting ethnocultural seniors to thrive in their homes and communities.
The panel included:
- Azita Afsharnejat, Calgary Immigrant Women’s Association
- Rebeca Andrada, Immigrant Services Calgary
- Yvonne Chiu, Multicultural Health Brokers (Edmonton)
- Muna Ali, Multicultural Association of Wood Buffalo
This also served as the LAUNCH of the brand new CORE Alberta Group: Immigrant Senior Sector Connections! This group aims to increase collaboration and connection among service providers who work with immigrant and refugee seniors in Alberta. It is a space to share emerging practices, highlight existing gaps, and address challenges. Lessons learned will also be shared with the broader Community-Based Senior Serving (CBSS) sector.
Join the CORE Group here and watch for further events!: https://corealberta.ca/group/immigrant-senior-sector-connections (If you're not yet a member of CORE Alberta, you'll be prompted to register first. Registration is free!)
Supporting Ethnocultural Seniors in Alberta
CORE Immigrant Senior Sector Connections Group
Oct 21, 2023
- Non-profit / Charitable sector
- Referral and Systems Navigation
- Organizational Development
- General Health and Wellness
- Intercultural/Interfaith/Interlingual; Immigrants, Refugees, and Other Newcomers
- Information, Referral, & Advocacy
- Social Connectedness / Social Isolation
- Mental Health and Wellness
- Government (Politicians, Policy Makers) and Health Authorities
- Service Providers (Non-profits, Community Organizations, Local government)
- Caregivers, Seniors & Volunteers
- Health Authorities
- Best Practices
- Evidence-based & emerging practices
- Organizational development