Best FriendsTM Approach is our flagship training program designed to enhance the capacity and skills of healthcare workers to provide quality care to persons living with dementia.
This is an excellent opportunity for all healthcare providers including seniors residential care providers, adult day program, homecare providers, recreation centres to build capacity within their organization to teach best practices in dementia care to their own staff. The Associate Trainers will acquire all the knowledge and skills they need to serve as in-house coach, trainer, mentor and resource person for staff supporting people with dementia in a variety of care settings.
Associate Trainer achieves the following five core competencies:
- Gain in-depth knowledge and understanding of dementia
- Understand and use effective communication strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the appropriate responses to altered or changing behaviours
- Understand how to design meaningful individualized activities to engage the person with dementia
- Understand the needs of families and demonstrate their value as partners in care
- Demonstrate knowledge of adult learning principles and understanding of the role of coach to help other staff develop the above core competencies.
The fee for the 2-day Associate Trainer workshop, which follows train-the-trainer model, is $300 per person and includes all training materials, such as training manual, activity book, Best Friends training slides, handouts, certificate template and certificate of completion of Associate Trainer training.
REGISTER HERE for June 17 & June 18, 2021 from 8:30 am -4:30 pm