Alberta Health Services has opened and staffed 19 of 50 permanent intensive care unit (ICU) beds supported by $100 million this year from Budget 2022. The remaining 31 beds are expected to open by the end of September.
With the opening of the new beds, Alberta now has 192 adult general ICU beds across the province, up from 173 before the pandemic. With $300 million over three years, AHS will boost its ICU capacity to 223 beds across all AHS zones.
Of the 19 new beds added:
- five are in the Foothills Medical Centre (Calgary)
- two are in Rockyview General Hospital (Calgary)
- two are in South Health Campus (Calgary)
- three are in the University of Alberta Hospital (Edmonton)
- two are in the Royal Alexandra Hospital (Edmonton)
- one is in the Sturgeon Community Hospital (St. Albert)
- two are in the Grande Prairie Regional Hospital
- two are in the Chinook Regional Hospital (Lethbridge)
READ MORE HERE